Friday, November 24, 2006

Surpriiiiiise!

We spent a wonderful day! Just us!
The rest of the family explored Point Pleasant and its surroundings so we could do everything we wanted to.
And be sure we did.

This evening we were invited to dinner at the seafood restaurant I embarassed James a few weeks ago. Rachel was feeling generous and told us they'd pay for Jim and me.

We were greeted by a grinning waitress who recognized us (of course James immediately blushed...) and were guided to a big round table.
My father chose a very good red wine and the babbling started once again.
The gears in my head moved and moved and moved and James just had to look at me and knew I was thinking of how to tell them.
He secretly squeezed my knee and we grinned at each other. "Are you waiting for the right moment?" he whispered to me.
I nodded slightly. "Mhm...I know you're a coward, so I'll have to be the one, right?"
He slapped my back and Rachel pointed at us with a broad grin. "Is that a pre-marital quarrel?" She winked and James tried to grin, too.
"Ah...erm...just some silly banter..."
My mom smiled at us and Rachel forgot about that 'pre-marital' thing because Sean was complaining about the menu. "They have no burgers here", he griped and she tried to explain the secrets of fine food to him.
"Menace!", James hissed into my ear.
"Teeeaaaaase", I hissed back and we both giggled which earned us a fond smile of Ruth.

After the main course the conversation turned to our marriage and James began to shift uncomfortably in his chair. Everyone was excited and Ruth asked if we already met Sam at Boston.
"Um...yeeees...we met him this Tuesday..."
Ruth revealed that she hoped we'd consider a ceremony held by him after the civil registry marriage and asked me what I'd think about it.
"Would that be a problem for you, Greg?"
I pondered. "Erm...I...."
James took my hand and smiled at me and it was easy for me to decide.
"That's fairly easy", I smiled at Ruth. "I remember some words which hit the mark."
Then I turned to Jim and bemed at him. "Remember? Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.
And where you die, I will die and there I will be buried. May the Lord do with me and more if anything but death parts you from me."
The whole family stared at me and Jim blinked back a few tears.
"So...if James wants to - why not? His God will be my God...", I smiled.

My father broke the silence and asked when they were supposed to be at the city hall that day in December.
I swallowed and felt James' eyes on me.
"Um...you don't have to show up there...", I began.
"Greg! You're impossible! Of course we will be there", my mom exclaimed. "We want to attend your marrage, you know?"
Now it was my turn to shift uncomfortably and James squeezed my hand.
I bit my lower lip and looked into seven expectant faces. I took a deep breath.
"But we are already married..."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. House, hi!

I feel honoured to have you take notice of my journal ^_~
Feel free to drop by, at any time, again... I'll make sure to make it worth your while with the odd story every now and then.

I hope you survived the relatives and your revelation to them unharmed...

All my best to you and your spouse. May you shag happily ever after! (< See? I used an explicit British expression. I am sure that you - being a devoted Blackadder fan - will appreciate the sentiment ^_~)

Most sincerely
SOrion

November 24, 2006  
Blogger Dr. James Wilson said...

Spouse ... please say husband!

November 24, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Gregory House said...

Hehe...I do SOrion, I do.

This is so sweet of you...I'm really touched. And be sure I'll be dropping by now and then. I love your stories.

November 24, 2006  
Blogger Dr. Eric Foreman said...

Ja..., und wie ging's weiter?
Wie haben Ihre Eltern darauf reagiert?

Obwohl... Wenn ich an meine Eltern denke, will ich das vielleicht gar nicht wissen...

November 26, 2006  
Blogger Dr. James Wilson said...

If you've read my blog you know how everything went ...

November 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home