Friday, January 05, 2007

From the sickbed

Yes.
Right.
I am writing from bedside.
God, I'm annoyed!
James brought my laptop to my room to prevent me from dying of boredom.
I decided to get out of bed after writing this entry and going back to my office to leave later with James. No way I am staying here for the night.
Never!

The day began abominable with 5 hours of clinic duty waiting for me. Fortunately James brightened these hours with his visit at exam room 3 and later we had coffee and lunch together. He told me he got rid of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named but didn't tell me what happened yet. I'll check his blog later and see if he wrote about it.

After lunch I got back to my office and found a new file on my desk. A young girl of 15 with vaginal bleeding, chest pain, shortness of breath and hemoptysis (i.e. she coughs up blood). I was thinking of cancer - Choriocarcinoma to be precise.
James had a board-meeting, so I could not consult him. I chose to have Foreman make some tests which showed increased quantitative β-hCG levels.
So I phoned Danby, showed him the file and the results and asked him to X-ray her chest.
Unfortunately he was followed by Allenby and gave me an excusing glance. What could I do? He was an oncologist, he worked here and I could not prevent him from joining consultations. And it was him who did the X-ray.
The chest X-ray showed multiple infiltrates of various shapes in both lungs which confirmed my diagnosis.
"You were right, Gregory", he said. "It's Choriocarcinoma."
Danby grinned. "I fear he's almost always right."
He examined the X-ray and I nodded with a smirk. "Not almost. I am always right. Ask Dr. Wilson."
Allenby looked up. "Are you two still...I mean....", he began.
I narrowed my eyes and watched him. There was nothing disturbing in his expression and I guessed he was really just interested. So I nodded.
"Yes. We are. In fact, we are married now."
He went a bit pale and then blushed. "Oh..." After a sigh he tried to smile. "I am happy for you two. Congratulations."
I chose to say nothing and just nodded. Luckily Allenby decided to leave the office and I was left with Danby who watched as he walked down the hallway.
"He seems to be really nice. We get along well."
I shrugged. "Good..."
"You don't have to tell me what happened. I know it must be something severe but I try to get to know him unprejudiced."
"Do so."

A knock at the glass door announced Foreman who came in with a tablet carrying some mugs, coffee and cookies.
"Coffee break!", he grinned and was followed by a slightly flushed Chase.
"That's the best idea you ever had!", I smirked and hobbled over to the table. Foreman got another mug for Danby and we sat there a while talking and having coffee. The way Chase looked I knew perfectly well what must have happened a few minutes ago and tried to hide my grin.
"You two already had a break, huh?", I asked.
Foreman grinned like a Cheshire cat and Chase blushed even deeper what told me more than a hundred words. Danby looked from one to another and grinned, too.
"A pleasant break if I got it right", he smiled.
"Yah", Foreman grinned and offered some chocolate chip cookies.
Exactly what I wanted now!

"Great!", I thought, grabbed the biggest cookie I could find and munched it. It tasted awesome and after my first "Hmmmmmmmm" I began to feel odd.
I had difficulties swallowing and couldn't breath properly anymore. Shaking my head I went to the window and opened it.
When I came back to the table Chase looked at me. "You look flushed, House.."
I blinked, felt my blood pressure getting very low and got hold on the chair.
"I...", I began and shook my head again. "Were there cashews in that cookie?"
Foreman munched and nodded.
"Shoot!", I said. "The only thing I show allergic reactions to."
Danby arose with a slightly concerned expression and Foreman asked me "How's breathing?"
"Difficult", I answered and my neck started itching.
I felt anxiety and tears began to roll down my cheeks. "Uh...", I said, "...how odd...", and tried to breathe calmly.
Nothing more could be said. The last thing before I fainted and hit the floor was James coming in.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Eric Foreman said...

Where are you?!?
You had to stay this night at the PPTH, GREG!

January 05, 2007  
Blogger Dr. Gregory House said...

I'm here...in that damn sick-bed...

January 05, 2007  
Blogger Dr. Lisa Cuddy said...

Gett well soon!

January 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwww heres some chicken soupe....by the way i miss hearing from you at DA. love u lots and am thinking of u.

the girl that brings you cookies and sweets,
Amy <3

January 08, 2007  
Blogger Dr. James Wilson said...

Chicken soup - sounds good!

That is what he needs now. Thanks Amy!

January 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home