Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Answering your question

Yes, I will still write about Sunday with the family.
And the parts of Saturday I do remember.
But let me answer your question first.

One of the most common keyword phrases leading people here is Why does Dr. House limp?.
Well...I wonder why you do not just ask me, colleagues and fellow doctors!
Do you really think google could answer that?
Nosy dorks.

I will tell you the reason.
I had an infarction in my right leg, which caused my quadriceps muscles to become necrotic.
Well, I had the dead muscle bypassed in order to restore circulation to the remainder of my leg, accepting the possibility that the release of the chemicals that resulted from the blockage would cause organ failure or cardiac arrest.
Of course I was willing to endure excruciating chronic pain as a trade-off for retaining the use of my leg.
Unfortunately my former girlfriend was my medical proxy...so when I was put into a chemically-induced coma to sleep through the worst of my pain, she decided to exercise her right and chose a safer surgical middle-ground between amputation and a bypass involving removing just the dead muscle.
This resulted in a partial loss of the use of my leg and left me with a lesser, but still serious, level of pain.
For the rest of my life, fellow doctors, so this might answer the other question of yours. That's why I take Vicodin frequently.
Surprise, surprise...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home