Monday, January 15, 2007

An evening at the Irish pub

Mood: back at work. Guess my mood...
Weather: sunny but damn cold
Drinking: black coffee with sugar - as nearly always
Eating: a sandwich with cheese, carrots and ramson
Listening to: Don't dream it's over - Crowded House


Geez!
He really did it!
He bought the house!
It's our's!!!

It's nice, it's cosy, it has a piano and the bathtub (hehe)! I still can't really believe it. But it's our's. We spent the weekend there.
Saturday we had a more than pleasant afternoon and planned to go to the Irish pub in the evening.
Well, we did. And painted Point Pleasant red, I suppose. Before we went to the pub James bought MacBeth and we grabbed a Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks. Walking resp. limping along the boardwalks we had a good time mocking the passers-by. It's hard to believe how many idiots are out on a Saturday night. And it's hard to believe how many of these idiots stare at you when you're hobbling around with a cane in your hand. Is this really that abnormal?
Maybe I'm just too pettish sometimes but I hate to be stared at.
Foreman - I know what you'll say now. "House, and to avoid that you glare into the world so that no one dares to lay eyes on you." And no, that's not true. My glaring is just my response to their staring.
I never tell Jim when I'm feeling like this and I bet he'll be upset when he reads it. Don't be cross with me now, hun, okay?

The morons around lifted my mood again. Sometimes you just can't believe that some people are real. But they are. Is that sad? Is that funny? I'm not sure.
Well, I was just fretting 'cause my leg hurt really much that evening I think and I didn't want to tell Jim not to spoil his mood. So I clung to my Macchiato and delighted in the thought we now have a house here. This and most of all Jim at my side lifted my mood more than a thousand morons around and I suddenly stopped.
James took a few steps and then stopped, too, and looked at me.
"Hm?"
I crooked my index finger.
He raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"
I crooked it again.
"Greg...just tell me what you want..."
I just grinned and crooked my index finger once again.
So he came back the two or three steps to me and I took him into my arms and cuddled him madly.
"Greg!", he exclaimed and laughed cuddling me back.
"I love you", I told him and kissed him deeply in the middle of the boardwalk. This silenced every possible objection and to my suprise he returned the kiss. I'm not sure if he'd do that at Plainsboro, but at Point Plesant he did.
"Ah, no! It's them again!", we heard someone exclaim and it was the couple we met so often. We both chuckled and grinned at them walking on as if nothing ever happened.

After discarding our beakers Jim really took my hand and we headed for the pub. I can tell you - I was beaming with happiness and pride. He slightly squeezed my hand when we entered the pub and looked for a table. It was already fairly crowded but we found a nice table for two next to the small stage and cornered by two other tables. First I was grumpy because of having the back of the man behind me touching my back but then shrugged and chose to forget this. He did not nudge me or bother me in any other way, so I was fine. And I'm sure this was a small surprise to Jim.
We ordered a bacon and cheese burger (and mine had no pickles!) accompanied by a pint of Guinness. Aaaah, when they brought the pints I was at peace with the world and myself and just looked around and listened to the music. I didn't notice I was humming along the tunes they played until I felt Jim's gaze on my face.
"Hm?", I asked and raised an eyebrow.
Jim just smiled, shook his head and sipped his Guinness.
I forgot to ask him again because our burgers were served then and I immediately blitzed mine. Jim watched me again and I looked up.
"Fwhat?"
He grinned broadly. "When it comes to food you sometimes resemble a demolition bomb..."
I champed the bit and put on a hurt expression. "This is not true..."
He nodded. "Yes, it is. When you're in the mood you could empty our fridge."
I grinned. "But I'd always spare the carrots."
"You surely would", he sneered. "And not to forget the consumption of certain beverages", he continued and pointed at my empty glass.
I beamed at him innocently. "I was thirsty."
"Sure", he grinned and ordered two more pints.

I had my second pint in my hands when someone familiar walked by. We both stared at him and then ducked our heads. He passed by without noticing us. Thanks to God. It was a patient we both had - a true chatterbox. If he spotted us he was bound to give us an earbashing so we crouched again when he came back and chuckled at each other.
"Doggone! Why on earth does he have to be here?", I complained.
"It's heaven's spanking for your misdeeds, dear", James replied and winked at me.
I pouted. "It's always me who's being punished, huh?"
Again he winked and leered slightly. "I could recompense you when we're home..."
"Okay!", I said. "Let's go home now!"
But Jim shook his head and nudged me over the table. I stuck out my lower lip and tried my puppy eyes but he covered his eyes with his hands.
"Want to be kissed right here and now? In public? Then continue!", he mumbled.
When he took his hands away I was still sitting there puppyeyed and pouting.
A broad smile appeared on his face, he arose, bent over the table and kissed me in front of all the other guests.
Whooooosh!
And guess what? It seemed as if no one noticed. At least nobody frowned at us. We clinked glasses and beamed at each other. What a nice evening!

Gosh, we had many pints, let me tell you that! When I arose to go downstairs and said "I have to pee", James leered again, said "Mhmmmm, me too" and followed me. Okay...afterwards everyone knew our names...
Some Irish guests even asked us to go to another bar with them but we prefered to stay there. The music was much too good, that guy had a brilliant voice and we really had fun there.
Somewhere down the road I took James' hand and sang My love is like a red, red rose to him which nearly brought him to tears. That was not what I intended, I just felt the urge to sing it to him.
Here are the lyrics:
My love is like a red, red rose
That’s newly sprung in June :
My love is like the melody
That’s sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only love,
And fare thee weel a while !
And I will come again, my love,
Thou’ it were ten thousand mile.

Robert Burns

It's such a beautiful poem and I love the melody.
And believe it or not - we were drunk enough to comply the request to sing on stage. We got guitars (yes, they even had one for southpaws) and sang She moves her own way. Good Lord! I hope no one who knows us was there....

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. James Wilson said...

I did suck with singing though.

January 15, 2007  
Blogger Dr. Gregory House said...

No...you have a wonderful voice.

January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home